Monday, June 20, 2011

Millinery class: Blocking a hat

I deeply loved to learn millinery. I'd love to become a milliner.
You've already seen my beret and pillbox.
For the 5 others hats I made for the class, we needed to block.
So here are all the blocks available at the college.

blocs a chapeaux
I WANT the same closet! Isn't it a dream?

I'm so in love with the large choice of blocks!
On the left closet, you can see the steam maker we used.

So here is how to block a hat:
  1. You choose the wood block you want and you cover it with some plastic wrap (to avoid any stain on your hat and any damage on the wood block)
  2. Moisten your straw/buckram/fabric/felt/hat
  3. With steam and your hands, make your material smooth on the block by using pins/strings/elastics to maintain it as you go
  4. You can add some stiffener if needed
  5. Let it dry on the block (we let them a week, until the next class)
Tadam! You blocked your hat.
You now have to sew the different part together, add a sweatband and trim it!


Here are several of my hats drying:

mes chapeaux qui sechent

You can see straw (the pinky one on the 1st pic, that's a vintage hat I still have to finish), sinamay (brown, black and white - I'll do the brown... later!) and fabric + buckram (1st pic, to make cocktail hats) .

I need blocks at home to continue making hats!!!