Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Buttercup Bags - Free pattern

It's been a while since I've first been lurking at this free online bag pattern.

For sure, you know I'm speaking about the unique, the gorgeous, the famous,...

Buttercup Bag, Made By Rae


You knew, didn't you?

My sister wedding was a perfect excuse to make my first one.
I used a brown polyester satin (from JoAnn, the same I used for my dress sash) for the outside, and a brown cotton for lining (from a bedskirt I'm not using).
These fabrics are way too thin to make a bag, but I though it could work for a one-day use. I think it looks good enough if you pay attention on how your are putting stuff inside (otherwise it's just bumps and holes!)

Buttercup Bag
You can see plenty of wrinkles because I've been using them so much! They need a good ironing!

I did the second one as soon as I went back to US to have a bright summer bag instead of my boring (I love it, though), classic black handbag.
I choose 2 matching yellowish-green quilting fat quarters at JoAnn. Yes, JoAnn again! I always loved all the choice for quilting fabrics and was happy to have a project with that!
This bright handbag is probably the only "crazy touch" in my wardrobe! I've been using it since I made it. I added a white piping to break the all-green look.
I've also used a heavyweight fusible interfacing which I fused on the lining fabric.
It was an inspired advice from QueenOfDiy. It makes the bag stand nicely.
She also explains how to make a zipper closure, and show how to make a cellphone pocket:


Free bag pattern

The only thing I would change?
The cheap closure I put. I should have bought magnetic buttons or zipper closure.

Buttercup bag free pattern

Here, a picture of the lining fabric with pocket (I did the pocket as I wanted too, without following the pattern)

Buttercup bag pattern Rae



I won't let you wait any longer, so there it is, the free (under the condition of not selling it) pattern!
Click on the picture


And a link to the THE Buttercup Bags Flick-r gallery.


I already plan to make a winter one, but I still have to choose among 3 really nice fabrics I bought to this purpose... unless I do an autumn one!