Monday, July 9, 2012

Strapless cocktail dress

During the spring semester I took a class called Advanced Bustier-Strapless Dress. The goal was to learn how to make a lightweight bustier (corselette) and attach a dress over it.
The purpose of the hidden bustier is to keep the dress where it should be, instead of having to readjust it to avoid any boob-showing issue (I'm looking for a more appropriate way of saying that, but can't figure anything) and you don't have to shop for a special bra either!
You would find that in any couture dress and maybe high end garments.

I kind of twisted the assignment when I decided to actually show this bustier. You know, the way Jean-Paul Gauthier does...
Plus the bustier itself is really pretty and take quite some time to make (at least the 1st one!)


I made a headpiece to go with it for my school Spring show.  Can you see the heart shaped headband, bringing romantic touch?
Isn't my model super cute? Thank you J. for always helping me to find models!

Spring fashion show

I'm just annoyed with myself that I realize only now that the right part of the skirt it obviously tucked in some ways in the bustier. I should have pull it before she walk! For my defense, backstage was a real crazy house.

And yes, this dress, but the bra cups, is made only of sheer fabrics. The layering makes it almost not see thru anymore. But to be on the safe side and stay far from the slutty effect, I did sew a boyshort in the cotton/spandex knit I used for this gown. I'm not sure it would have been needed for a Couture show, but this was just at school!

organza butterflies

Let me add another romantic touch.
The burgundy organza butterflies are the one I used to decorate for my wedding.
This winter, I was cleaning up the box full of treasures from my wedding when I found those butterflies. I just figure that instead of letting them end in a box, they were better in the spotlight once more. So my newly design and sewing skills where just the perfect way of using them. Therefore, they were the first and main inspiration for this cocktail dress.
Isn't it a nice second life forthem?

I'll be curious to know for which event could you see yourself/others wear this cocktail dress?
See you next Monday!